This position is for our Time to Talk project.
Purpose of the role: To give confidential emotional support as well as practical help to disabled and Deaf people in the community, over the phone. You would signpost them to Living Options Devon projects and services, as well as relevant services run by other organisations. Overall, you would be aiming to help reduce their feelings of isolation, and offer an improved quality of life.
Typical tasks might include:
- Recording phone calls made on a referral form, including details of what support was provided, and the service user’s preferred method of contact.
- Identifying the individual needs of the service user, and referring them to the correct services accordingly, including our ‘Chat & Share Groups’, our life coach service, our Deaf counselling service, and training courses.
- Empowering people to overcome the emotional and practical issues they currently face.
- Being sensitive to the communication needs of the individual, for example, mediating tone of voice, or using an appropriate level of vocabulary.
- Working with the service user, to help them access the services which they feel are right for them.
- Attending training, support sessions and volunteer meetings.
- Recording accurate and clear notes on each case, so the team are informed of actions taken and progress made.
- Reporting to your line manager with any concerns on particular cases.
All applicants must be 18 or over, and must undergo DBS disclosure (which will be paid for by LOD).
We also require Deaf volunteers with knowledge of British Sign Language to work with Deaf service users. You would be interacting over Skype or FaceTime, so as to communicate visually. To volunteer as a Deaf volunteer, you must have a Level 3 or above qualification in British Sign Language, and must have experience engaging with Deaf people.
We look for the following in all of our volunteers:
- IT skills suitable for accessing the internet and record keeping.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Able to commit to 2 - 4 hours a week, hopefully for at least 12 months
- Having a caring, mature and supportive empathy towards others
- A non-judgemental, impartial and confidential approach
- A commitment to ensuring everyone has equal access to our service
- Reliable and organised with a responsible attitude
- Good listening skills and good spoken (or BSL) communication skills
- Ability to travel independently
- Willingness to commit to our initial induction programme, as well as mandatory training in Guided Conversations, Disability Awareness, Deaf Awareness, Safeguarding, and Data Protection
- Willingness to commit to ongoing training about specific topic of importance to the role
Working times are flexible as the support line will be open (up to 8pm) on weekdays.
For more information please contact our Volunteer Co-ordinator, Leila Manion.
Phone: 01392 459 222
Or write a letter to:
Living Options Devon is a well respected user-led organisation which works to ensure that people with disabilities and Deaf people can live the life they choose. Set up in 1990 LOD is a registered charity (Charity N0. 1102489) and a company limited by guarantee (No. 4925281). Based in Exeter and Barnstaple, our charitable aims mean we we can offer services across the South West and share good practice throughout the UK. Being led and run by people with disabilities and Deaf people ensures LOD has first hand knowledge and understanding of the issues facing service users and so is very well placed to increase the influence and voice of Deaf and disabled people. We do this by providing education, training and services which enable people to live the lives they choose.
We are happy to provide all information about Living Options Devon and its projects in alternative formats by request. Please contact us using the details above.
There are a number of ways you can contact us:
By telephone: 01392 459222
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By SMS: 07958 517919
By post: Living Options Devon, Ground Floor Units 3-4, Cranmere Court, Lustleigh Close, Matford Business Park, Exeter EX2 8PW
For all media enquires please contact Astley Media on 01392 267394 or email@example.com.